Monday, February 11, 2008

Swimming, anyone?

Saturday, February 9th, 2008. Took Stella to downtown Walnut Creek for lunch with a girlfriend. After lunch, we let the kids run around and throw pennies into the various fountains. One fountain, in particular, has this retaining wall that was perfect for kids to climb up and walk around. Stella and Addison (my girlfriends’ little one – almost three), of course, climb right up and proceed to walk their laps around the fountain. Ever the protective mom, I follow them around, just a foot or two behind. After a couple of laps, I lean over to my girlfriend and mention that Stella keeps getting a little close to the inside edge of the fountain, and that I should probably get her down. No sooner had I finished verbalizing this thought, than I heard a gasp, as my girlfriend drew my attention to Stella, who proceeded to tumble right into the fountain. The water is somewhere between 12 and 18 inches deep, so, the fall was somewhat cushioned. I took a couple of steps to arrive just as the last few hairs of Stella went under the water. Of course I immediately yanked her up and out of the water. Needless to say, there wasn’t a part of her that didn’t end up wet. She fussed for 20 or 30 seconds, and then was just fine. Actually, except for the soaking clothes, and the breeze outside, she was great. Now we just had to find some dry clothes (unfortunately the car was parked too far away).
In the end, Stella ended up with a cute new outfit, and I got a humorous little anecdote to share for years to come… Aahhh… Parenthood…

No comments: