Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Chocolate, and Cookie Dough, and More Chocolate

It was finally time. Most every toddler, I think, loves to help out in the kitchen. I have fond memories of being in the kitchen with my grandmother (I was about three at the time), sitting up on the counter, and assisting with whatever culinary masterpiece was on the menu for the day. I remember hanging my feet in the sink, while I got my own bowl of something to mix, mash, and use to coat any surface within a three foot radius of my spoon. Lots of fun. Stella often ‘helps with the dishes’. By ‘helping with the dishes’, I mean either rearranging the dirty dishes I am simultaneously attempting to organize to fit the maximum into the dishwasher, before I hit the ‘Start’ button, or standing on a chair in front of the sink mixing a bowl of sudsy water and then dumping it all over the kitchen floor.
Yesterday, Stella got to help dad make cookies. Chocolate chip cookies. As I walked through the door, I hear “Now don’t tell Mommy”. Hmmm… Not the first words Mommy wants to hear as she walks in the door from work. I turn the corner into the kitchen to see Stella licking her lips, and Glenn with a rather sheepish look on his face. Upon seeing me, Stella immediately grins from ear to ear and offers what is left on the spoon she just pulled out of her mouth. Chocolate specks cover her face from the nose down, and every surface, both lateral and vertical, is dusted with flour. I grabbed the camera, only to find the battery had died. What a moment to miss. I am sure there will be more.

No comments: