Monday, March 3, 2008

Chalk, Bubbles, Soup, and Womanhood

OK, I would be doing the moment an injustice, if I didn’t post this. Also, Glenn will probably kill me, as I may be stepping out of bounds with this one. So, if this post has been removed at some date in the near future, you will know why. If it hasn’t, then Glenn doesn’t read the family blog as regularly as he professes. Anything that has me literally on the ground laughing until the tears come, deserves to be shared, I think.
Sunday night (last night). Glenn is slowly recovering from the flu he has had for the last several days. Lucky for us, Stella has already had this particular strain, and has passed it onto her Dear Daddy. So, dinner is done, and Glenn’s tummy starts to rumble. At that cue, he heads to the bathroom. Upon seeing Dad leave the room, Stella proceeds to follow. As she watches him turn into the bathroom, she questions, ”Poop?” With a sigh, and a slight grin, Glenn responds, “Yes.” OK, that’s about as far as I can go. There is more to this story, but it may not come across in the spirit, with which it was enjoyed, if I try and go any further. So there. I guess I won’t be doing this story justice, after all. Sorry, folks. Feel free to call and ask me about it later, though.
This past weekend we (Stella and I) exercised our skills at chalk graffiti, blowing bubbles, climbing up and down slides, making a get well card for Glenn, along with some homemade chicken soup, and just had a blast! I was able to give Glenn a break, and let him hang in bed for a couple of days, while I got some one on one time with the girly.
I did have a warm-fuzzy moment, though. I am in the kitchen trying to start some soup for Glenn, while making lunch for me and Little Miss. Grandma recently bought a small two-step stool for our apt. Stella loves to climb up on it and watch what is going on in the kitchen, or help with the dishes. As I am trying to get some food made (we were so hungry) Stella keeps motioning for me to hold her (she does this by stretching out both her arms, until they are perfectly straight, and doing the little ‘come here’ wave with her fingers). Finally, I pull out the step stool. Initially Stella stands on the top step, holding onto the little rail, and wants to play in the sink. In the end, she ended up sitting on the stool; Converse still on, with dirt and chalk smears all over her pants, and snacking on tomatoes, mozzarella, and fresh basil, while babbling very important happenings. I am sure I was able to make out a few words – Elmo, Grover, baby, doggy, and pasta, among others. The reason that little moment stands out, is because I suddenly had this vision of the two of us hanging out in the kitchen in the somewhat distant future. I look forward to the both of us pouring our hearts out to each other, as mother and daughter, all the while cooking up some scrumptious something or other, and giggling like girlfriends. I love having a daughter, and look forward to those moments that make me proud to be a woman, with all it encompasses, but more specifically, to raise a strong young woman, and hopefully instill some of that same pride in Stella.

No comments: